Please find a condensed, printable version of this resume as a PDF here
10 Lawrence Street, Cambridge MA 02139
ari [dot] ofsevit [at] gmail [dot] com — 781.710.1558
Macalester College, B.A., cum laude, 2006
Geography Major, Urban Studies Major.
University of Melbourne, 2004. Study abroad courses in Department of Urban Planning and Development.
Recent Work Experience
URS Corp, MassRIDES Outreach Coordinator, 2012 - Present
Organized outreach events to 100+ employers, cities and organizations across Massachusetts. Led Bay State Bike Week and Car Free Week events. Presented MassRIDES programming and work with companies to increase walking, cycling, transit and carpooling while reducing drive-alone commutes.
Appalachian Mountain Club, Backcountry Hut Naturalist, 2010-2011
Developed and presented nightly programs about natural and political history, geology, sustainability and flora and fauna for guests in a backcountry facility in New Hampshire. Analyzed off-grid power systems, engaged in outreach with thousands of guests and collected media for the AMC's social networking pages.
ClearCost Health, Product Manager, 2010-2011
Managed data collection for medical pricing startup. Organized marketing and data collection and compiled and analyzed data in Excel for system to increase medical procedure price transparency.
Newton North High School, Nordic ski coach
Assistant ski coach for established, 40-member coed high school team. Worked with all levels of skiers through daily practices and races. Organized training regimens, taught skills to beginners and honed the technique of established skiers. Managed waxing for the team and worked with skiers to set and achieve goals.
Neighborhood Energy Connection, HOURCAR program manager 2007-2010.
Managed a two dozen-vehicle, 1000-member, $400k/year car sharing fleet as part of an energy-efficiency nonprofit in the Twin Cities. Oversaw 30% annual growth in membership and revenue. Developed website, data tracking and analysis systems, marketing and social media campaigns, worked with local transit, government and development stakeholders to create car sharing-specific planning codes and advocate for multi-modal, alternative mode transportation options.
Spotscout, Inc., Data Collection Analysis 2007
Content Specialist for mobile web startup firm. Developed and supervised on-the-ground and electronic data collection for parking facilities in Boston, New York and San Francisco. Located and helped to integrate data from various web-based sources in to web-based Google Maps API interface. Also participated in product development, testing and QA.
Center for Community GIS, GIS Consultant and Intern, Spring, 2007
GIS internship focused on participatory GIS projects using ArcGIS 9.1. Worked with local non-profits, advocacy groups and college classes to build databases regarding development and land use in various regions of Maine. Presented to groups such as the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission and the Maine Audubon Society.
Macalester College Geography Department, Teaching Assistant, 2003-2006
Teaching Assistant in GIS lab. Tasks included designing, testing and evaluating ArcGIS tutorials for labs, computer maintenance, grading assignments and assisting students in their work. Proficient in ArcGIS 9, working knowledge of ESRI Spatial Analyst 2.0.
University of Southern Maine, R.E.U. Internship, Summer 2005
National Science Foundation-funded Research Experience for Undergraduates internship. Worked with professors and students using survey-grade GPS equipment to map geologic structures along the coast of Maine. Work presented at 2006 Northeastern Geologic Society of America conference. Acquired proficiency with several Trimble survey products and a working knowledge of Access-supported geodatabases, as well as Adobe Photoshop to manipulate aerial images and Adobe Illustrator to create presentations, posters and other visuals.
Massachusetts State House, Legislative Intern, Summer 2004
Intern in the office of State Representative Ruth B. Balser. Researched legislation, attended briefings and dealt with constituent issues. Attended Senate Legislative Education Office intern program's lectures given by prominent current and former political figures.
Cambridge Systematics, Intern, Summer 2001
Full time intern at Cambridge Systematics' GIS and Intelligent Transportation Systems departments. Worked with ArcView 3.x. Tasks included designing and printing maps for transportation studies and models, coding data and creating data sets and metadata.
Two-time guest on NPR's Car Talk
Letters to the editor published in The New York Times, The Boston Globe, the Star Tribune, The Pioneer Press and read on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday.
NESN "Not your typical fan" of the game, May 10, 2003.
- Winner Best Analysis, Hubway Data Challenge, 2012. As featured in The Atlantic, Planetizen.
- Member, Gamma Theta Upsilon, geographic honor society.
- Member, American Association of Geographers.
- Winner, FutureBoston@MashupCamp competition, sponsored by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Department of Urban Studies and Planning Laboratory for Mobile Learning and Boston.com.
- 2d Place, Minnesota GIS/LIS Undergraduate Presentation Contest, October, 2005. Awarded free conference attendance and scholarship.
- TransTalk, "Car sharing in the Twin Cities" Interdisciplinary Transportation Student Organization, December, 2008, University of Minnesota.
- Class lecture and tutorial "ArcGIS to Google Earth" for GIScience, University of Maine, Farmington, March, 2007, Matthew McCourt, Professor.
- Spatial distribution of shared cars: Implications for developing systems in less dense cities," presentation to HOURCAR car sharing, Saint Paul, Minn. May, 2006.
- Class lecture for Intro to GIS, Macalester Geography Dept., April, 2006. Holly Barcus, Professor.
- "Geodatabase: The next step in data management" at the Northeast Geologic Society of America conference, March 2006. With Professor Matthew Bampton.
- "Applications and techniques of large-scale aerial photography" presented at the student scholarship competition, Minnesota GIS/LIS conference, October 2005.
- Coauthor "Foreclosures in the Twin Cities: Analysis of Spatial Trends," prepared by Advanced Urban GIS class and presented to the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, 2004. With Professor Laura Smith, et al.
Thru-hike: Georgia to Maine, June 4 to October 17, 2006.