Courses in geography, urban studies, economics, political science, history, geology, mathematics, music, communications.
URS Corp, MassRIDES Outreach Coordinator, 2012 – Present
Organized outreach events to 100+ employers, cities and organizations across Massachusetts. Led Bay State Bike Week and Car Free Week events. Presented MassRIDES programming and work with companies to increase walking, cycling, transit and carpooling while reducing drive-alone commutes.
Appalachian Mountain Club, Backcountry Hut Naturalist, 2010-2011
Managed 96-bed backcountry hospitality facility and a staff of 9, serving two full meals per day. Trained new staff in all aspects of the operation and communicated with other departments in the frontcountry. Promoted AMC activities and membership, led search-and-rescue operations, and managed compliance with Forest Service special use permit regulations.
ClearCost Health, Product Manager, 2010-2011
Managed data collection for medical pricing startup. Organized marketing and data collection and compiled and analyzed data in Excel for system to increase medical procedure price transparency.
Newton North High School, Nordic ski coach, 2010-2011
Assistant ski coach for established, 40-member coed high school team. Worked with all levels of skiers through daily practices and races. Organized training regimens, taught skills to beginners and honed the technique of established skiers. Managed waxing for the team and worked with skiers to set and achieve goals.
Neighborhood Energy Connection, HOURCAR Program Manager, 2007-2010.
Managed a two dozen-vehicle, 1000-member, $400k/year car sharing fleet as part of an energy-efficiency nonprofit in the Twin Cities. Oversaw 30% annual growth in membership and revenue. Developed website, data tracking and analysis systems, marketing and social media campaigns, worked with local transit, government and development stakeholders to create car sharing-specific planning codes and advocate for multi-modal, alternative mode transportation options.
Spotscout, Inc., Data Collection Analyst, 2007
Content Specialist for mobile web startup firm. Developed and supervised on-the-ground and electronic data collection for parking facilities in Boston, New York and San Francisco. Located and helped to integrate data from various web-based sources in to web-based Google Maps API interface. Also participated in product development, testing and QA.
Center for Community GIS, GIS Consultant and Intern, 2007
GIS internship focused on participatory GIS projects using ArcGIS 9.1. Worked with local non-profits, advocacy groups and college classes to build databases regarding development and land use in various regions of Maine. Presented to groups such as the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission and the Maine Audubon Society.
Macalester College Geography Department, Teaching Assistant, 2003-2006
Teaching Assistant in GIS lab. Tasks included designing, testing and evaluating ArcGIS tutorials for labs, computer maintenance, grading assignments and assisting students in their work. Acquired proficiency in ArcGIS package.
University of Southern Maine, R.E.U. Internship, Summer 2005
National Science Foundation-funded Research Experience for Undergraduates internship. Worked with professors and students using survey-grade GPS equipment to map geologic structures along the coast of Maine. Work presented at 2006 Northeastern Geologic Society of America conference. Acquired proficiency with several Trimble survey products and a working knowledge of Access-supported geodatabases, as well as Adobe Photoshop to manipulate aerial images and Adobe Illustrator to create presentations, posters and other visuals.
Massachusetts State House, Legislative Intern, 2004
Intern in the office of State Representative Ruth B. Balser. Researched legislation, attended briefings and dealt with constituent issues. Attended Senate Legislative Education Office intern program’s lectures given by prominent current and former political figures.
Cambridge Systematics, Intern, Summer 2001
Full time intern at Cambridge Systematics’ GIS and Intelligent Transportation Systems departments. Worked with ArcView 3.x. Tasks included designing and printing maps for transportation studies and models, coding data and creating data sets and metadata.
- Car Talk (NPR): Two-time guest
- Letters to the editor published in The New York Times, The Boston Globe, the Minneapolis Star Tribune, The Saint Paul Pioneer Press and read on NPR’s Weekend Edition Sunday.
- Websites featured on Lifehacker, Consumerist, The Atlantic, The Washington Post, The Atlantic Cities, Planetizen.
- NESN “Not your typical fan” of the game, May 10, 2003.
- Named Best Analysis, Hubway Data Challenge, 2012. As featured in The Atlantic, Planetizen.
- Member, Cambridge Bicycle Committee, 2013
- Member, Young Professionals in Transportation, Boston chapter.
- Member, Gamma Theta Upsilon, geographic honor society.
- Member, American Association of Geographers.
- Winner, FutureBoston@MashupCamp competition, sponsored by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology‘s Department of Urban Studies and Planning Laboratory for Mobile Learning and Boston.com.
- Minnesota GIS/LIS Undergraduate Presentation Contest scholarship recipient, October, 2005.
- TransTalk, “Car sharing in the Twin Cities” Interdisciplinary Transportation Student Organization, December, 2008, University of Minnesota.
- Class lecture and tutorial “ArcGIS to Google Earth” for GIScience, University of Maine, Farmington, March, 2007, Matthew McCourt, Professor.
- Spatial distribution of shared cars: Implications for developing systems in less dense cities,” presentation to HOURCAR car sharing, Saint Paul, Minn. May, 2006.
- Class lecture for Intro to GIS, Macalester Geography Dept., April, 2006. Holly Barcus, Professor.
- “Geodatabase: The next step in data management” at the Northeast Geologic Society of America conference, March 2006. With Professor Matthew Bampton.
- “Applications and techniques of large-scale aerial photography” presented at the student scholarship competition, Minnesota GIS/LIS conference, October 2005.
- Coauthor “Foreclosures in the Twin Cities: Analysis of Spatial Trends,” prepared by Advanced Urban GIS class and presented to theMinneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, 2004. With Professor Laura Smith, et al.
- Nordic Ski Team: Named to NCAA All-Academic Team, team captain and manager of $20,000 budget.
- The Mac Weekly and The Mac Weekly Magazine, editor and reporter.
- Outing Club trip leader of week-long wilderness winter camping trips to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and Wyoming and the Boundary Waters Wilderness in northern Minnesota.
- Appalachian Trail thru-hike: Georgia to Maine, June 4 to October 17, 2006.
- Marathon (foot): 3:01
- Dozens of ski marathons completed; American Birkebeiner Elite Wave 2009-2013
- Ultramarathon times: White Mountain Hut Traverse 19:50, Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim 14:30, Pemigewassett Loop: 11:40.